photo: Yunsong Zhao
source: Virginia Tech Police
- Name – Yunsong Zhao
- Age – 19
- Gender – Male
- Citizenship – China
- School – Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, also known as Virginia Tech
- Major – Business
- Status – Currently in Montgomery County Jail. According to a newspaper serving the Virginia Tech community, General District Court Judge Gino Williams denied bond for Mr. Zhao in order to ensure that he remains in theUnited States for trial.
- The student had allegedly purchased an old police vehicle and was searching online for bulletproof vests before his arrest. This is according to local TV station WDBJ.
- He is said to have bought a 30-round rifle magazine a few days after purchasing a Bushmaster XM-15 semiautomatic rifle.
- It is said that he was also planning to purchase 5,000 rounds of ammunition.
- He was charged with possessing and transporting an assault weapon. This is because he is not a U.S. citizen, nor is he lawfully admitted U.S. permanent residents of the United States according to the Virginia Tech area newspaper.
The following message is an excerpt from Wikipedia:
The Virginia Tech shooting, also known as the Virginia Tech massacre, occurred on April 16, 2007, on the campus of Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University in Blacksburg, Virginia, United States. Seung-Hui Cho, a senior at Virginia Tech, shot and killed 32 people and wounded 17 others in two separate attacks (another six people were injured escaping from classroom windows), approximately two hours apart, before committing suicide.
As an international student and traveler abroad, you should study and understand the laws and customs of your host country. For example, although owning a firearm may be legal in the state where your school is located, it may be illegal for some people to own or transport a gun in another state. The same is true for marijuana which legal in some states but highly illegal in others. Remember; completing your education and staying safe should be your first priority.