What a rollercoaster ride it has been for those who are applying for H-1B extensions and for those waiting for green cards. Finally, we have some good news for those seeking H-1B extensions: “You Are Safe for Now!”
Several powerhouses and industrial leaders have spoken up against Trump’s anti-immigrant policies with favorable results. Here are some of the department, people, and reasons.
1. The U.S. Chamber of Commerce:
Ending extension of H-1B visas is a “bad policy” and it is contrary to the goals of a merit-based immigration system.
2. Congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard & Congressman Kevin Yoder
They sent a letter to President Trump urging him to reject the proposal to deport H-1B holders waiting for green cards. Congressman Yoder said: “these are the people who have helped America grow and thrive as a nation of immigrants.”
3. U.S. Lacks Skilled STEM Workers
Last but not the least is that the U.S. is facing a severe skilled worker shortage that will impact its economic growth. A CNBC 2017 report suggests “there’s a misunderstanding of which STEM jobs are available. That, in turn, is making fewer kids and young adults interested in pursuing the field as a career later in life.”
The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has announced that Trump’s administration has canceled its plan to end extensions for H-1B visa workers that have been waiting for their green cards. This announcement came in time for around 700,000 Indian workers who thought they might have to face self-deportation and have to leave the U.S.
1. Just in case Trump changes his mind again, you must prepare for the worst if you are applying for or extending an H-1B visa. Public policies can change on a whim depending on circumstances.
2. Be on the lookout for other possible opportunities and alternatives if the self-deportation policy is reinstated.
3. Increase your value to the job market by obtaining more job skills and becoming even more knowledgeable.